Sony A7 II Overview
Full-Frame Alpha Stabilized
Sony has taken their line of full-frame cameras to the next level with the a7 II Mirrorless Camera, which features 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization with 4.5 stops of compensation. Operation of the 24.3-megapixel series has been streamlined with a redesigned grip, shutter release button, and customizable controls; the a7 II also features a moisture- and dust-resistant design with a magnesium alloy body and a more robust lens mount. And, with refined algorithms and better utilization of the BIONZ X image processor, the a7 II has an enhanced Fast Hybrid AF system that is about 30% faster than the previous model along with a 5 fps burst rate with continuous autofocus.
Full-Frame Sensor, BIONZ X Processor, and Stabilization
Incorporated into the a7 II's redesigned body is a full-frame 24.3MP Exmor CMOS sensor, which offers a wide dynamic range with minimal noise and rich, subtle gradations. The sensor also offers an ISO range of 100-51,200 which can be expanded down to ISO 50. Coupled with the BIONZ X processor, this camera also supports fluid performance for high-speed shooting applications, including the ability to shoot continuously at up to 5 fps and record Full HD video at up to 60p
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
Packed into the svelte a7 II is a 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization system, which compensates for five types of camera shake encountered during handheld shooting of still images and video. This allows users to confidently use any lens, even adapted lenses, for critical imaging without encountering blur from camera shake. This system will compensate for approximately 4.5 stops of shutter speed for working with a huge variety of subjects.
Enhanced Fast Hybrid AF
Utilizing 117 phase-detection and 25 contrast-detection autofocus points with a wide area of coverage, the a7 II can smoothly and quickly track fast-moving subjects throughout the frame. It optimizes for both speed and accuracy with an enhanced algorithm that improves performance by about 30% when compared to previous generations. This just-developed algorithm will more accurately predict subject movement for tracking that is 1.5x more accurate. Also, Lock-on AF tracking will analyze more information from the scene to provide dramatically improved accuracy and stability and Eye AF can prioritize a subject's pupil for excellent portraits even with a shallow depth of field.
Full HD and XAVC S Format
Shoot Full HD 1920 x 1080 video at frame rates of 60p, 30p, and 24p with the high-bit-rate 50 Mbps XAVC S format. This results in excellent image quality with minimal noise and artifacts without requiring a large amount of disk space. Additionally, the system uses linear PCM sound for high quality audio.
When recording internally, users will record video with a 4:2:0 sampling at 8-bit, however, to even further improve image quality the a7 II has clean HDMI output for use with an external recorder. This allows users to capture 4:2:2 uncompressed video and save in an edit-ready format.
Customizable Color Profiles and S-Log2 Gamma
To make sure the a7 II is able to use its extensive dynamic range while recording video it incorporates extensive customizable color and gamma controls. Users can adjust the gamma, black level, knee, color level, and more. Also users can use the same S-Log2 Gamma Curve that is found on high end Sony Cinema cameras that squeezes up to 1300% more dynamic range into the video signal then traditional REC709, for increased post-production flexibility.
Audio Input & Headphone Jack
The a7 II features a 3.5mm microphone input jack for compatibility with external microphones. And for users needing more the a7 II is also compatible with the Sony XLR-K2M XLR Adapter for recording professional balanced XLR audio signals with phantom power and adjustable mic/line inputs. For monitoring audio the a7 II features a 3.5mm headphone jack as well as real time audio levels for a visual reference.
Refined EVF, LCD, and Ergonomics
- High-resolution 2.36m-dot OLED viewfinder offers a bright, clear means for eye-level viewing.
- Rear LCD now features a higher 1.2m-dot resolution along with a versatile tilting design that moves upward 107° and downward 41° for working from high and low angles.
- Featuring a larger, more refined grip shape, users will find the a7 II to have a more secure feel even when large lenses are mounted.
- Shutter release button has been reshaped and moved forward for a more natural shooting position and a decrease in camera shake.
- Button customization is available with the ability to assign any of 56 functions to any of the 10 customizable buttons for a more personalized setup.
Magnesium Alloy Construction and Robust Lens Mount
- Well-built design includes a magnesium alloy top cover, front cover, and internal structure and the lens mount has been redesigned with greater strength and rigidity for extra security when using larger or longer lenses.
- Improved weather sealing for greater dust and moisture resistance, providing more protection when shooting out in the elements.
- Optical filter on the sensor has an anti-static coating and there is an anti-dust mechanism to prevent dust from adhering to the sensor.
Wi-Fi and NFC
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables the a7 II to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices; no complex set-up is required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and remotely control the camera's shutter.