Panasonic Lumix GH5 Body (Black)
Panasonic Lumix GH5 Body
- Micro Four Thirds Live MOS sensor, 20.3MP w/o low-pass filter
- 6K Photo capture, 4K Video capture
- Magnesium alloy body
- 13% bigger than the GH4
- Freeze-proof to -10 degrees Celsius
- 225-area AF system
- Customized AF settings
- Motion tracking built into the system
- Cinema 4K (4096 x 2160) at 24p
- 4K (3840 x 2160) at 60p
- 4.2.2 10-bit output and internal recording
- Vlog offers 10 stops of dynamic range
20.3MP Digital Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
Packing in a newly developed 20.3MP Digital Live MOS sensor without an optical low-pass filter and a new Venus Engine processor, the GH5 claims to produce the best image quality to date from a Lumix camera. Using Multipixel Luminance Generation and Intelligent Detail Processing, it will maximize sharpness and details as well as accuracy in a variety of lighting conditions. It offers excellent three-dimension color control and precise noise reduction techniques to help with shooting at sensitivities up to ISO 25600. It also enables shooting speeds of up to 12 fps with AF-S or manual focus modes.
4K Video Recording
The GH5 is an exceptionally capable video camera in addition to its outstanding stills capabilities. The flagship feature is UHD 4K video at up to 60 fps, though another excellent spec is the ability to record 4:2:2 10-bit files at resolutions up to DCI and UHD 4K at 24/30 fps. A full-size HDMI port is present on the camera for high-quality output at 4:2:2 10-bit in all settings for use with external monitors and recorders. The camera also offers high bit-rate recording for highly detailed images free of compression artifacts.
For more advanced users, multiple picture styles are available to provide a more gradable image, such as CINELIKE V and CINELIKE D, as well as an in-camera LUT to make monitoring easier. Also, users will have access to overcranking and undercranking settings which provide speeds up to 2.5x slower in 4K (60 fps) and 7.5x slower in Full HD (180 fps). Also, a 4K Anamorphic mode is available, which will let you record in a proper 4:3 ratio for adjustment in post-production.
The GH5 is designed to be an expandable system, with multiple options available to help improve video recording capabilities. Examples of this are an optional V-Log L upgrade and separately available accessories such as the XLR Microphone Adapter that provides XLR inputs and physical controls through a hot shoe connection. Users can also use standard microphones and headphones via the 3.5mm input and output jacks.
6K and 4K PHOTO
Utilizing the GH5's video recording capabilities, a trio of still shooting modes are available for recording continuous 8MP stills at a 60 or 30 fps shooting rate or 18MP stills at a 30 fps shooting rate:
- Burst: Just as with video recording, this mode will allow you to continuously record for up to 29 min. 59 sec., making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- Pre-Burst: This mode is ideal for times when you're unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record images one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8 or 18 MP frame.
Dual I.S. 2
Helping to achieve the utmost sharpness when photographing handheld, Dual I.S. 2 combines the GH5's sensor-shift image stabilization technology with lens-based image stabilization to compensate for a broader range of movement types to render sharper, clearer imagery. Dual I.S. 2 requires the use of compatible Lumix lenses featuring O.I.S. This stabilization system is able to compensate for approximately 5 stops of camera shake.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi
- A large OLED Live View Finder has an impressive 3.86m-dot resolution and 0.76x magnification for eye-level composition.
- A larger means for image composition and playback, the 3.2" 1.62m-dot rear RGBW LCD monitor has a free angle, tilt and swivel design to support viewing from a variety of angles. It is also a touchscreen, which permits intuitive menu navigation and settings control.
- Dual UHS-II SD card slots are present which provides settings such as Relay Recording to automatically switch cards when one is full; Backup Recording, which recording the same data to both cards simultaneously; and Allocation Recording, which lets you save certain files to each card for easier organization.
- Constructed from magnesium alloy with die-cast front and rear frames, the GH5 features a durable design that also incorporates extensive sealing at each joint, dial, and button to render it both splash- and dust-proof as well as freezeproof to 14°F.
- A joystick is available on the rear of the camera to make changing many settings easier and more intuitive, such as changing a focus point.
- The sleek flat-body profile incorporates both front and rear dials for intuitive control over aperture and shutter speed settings. Multiple assignable function buttons are also available, as well as a dedicated exposure compensation dial.
- Built-in 5 GHz Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC and Bluetooth 4.2 Low Energy allows for wireless image sharing and remote camera control from linked smartphones and tablets. Bluetooth LE also enables a constant connection to your mobile device, allowing for functions such as geolocation and automatic image transfer.
225-Area Advanced Depth-From-Defocus AF System
For accelerated autofocus performance, and Advanced DFD (Depth-From-Defocus) technology is employed to quickly calculate the distance to subjects and adjust the focusing position in as little as 0.05 seconds, which enables continuous shooting up to 9 fps with continuous AF. This contrast-detection type focus method benefits both still and video recording modes, as well as subject tracking applications where subject color, size, and motion vectors are used to intelligently lock-onto the moving subjects and ensure precise focus. The sensitivity and speed can be adjusted to further improve performance with certain subjects. It also features 225 AF areas which provide excellent control over where the camera will focus. Additionally, supporting working in low-light conditions, a Starlight AF feature enables accurate AF performance down to -4 EV.
Benefitting manual focus operation, focus peaking is available that highlights bright edges of contrast with a colored outline for quickly recognizing your focus point, as well as Touch MF Assist for touch-to-focus operation.
Other Camera Features
- A mechanical focal plane shutter enables a fast maximum shutter speed of 1/8000 sec., as well as a top flash sync speed of 1/250 sec. An electronic shutter function also avails a top shutter speed of 1/16,000 sec. to better enable working in bright conditions and with wider aperture settings.
- Raw image files can be processed in-camera for a more streamlined post-production workflow.
- Depending on the lens in use, the included DMW-BLF19 battery provides approximately 400 shots per charge when using the rear monitor, or 380 with the electronic viewfinder.
- Photo Style modes: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, Custom, Cinelike D, and Cinelike V.
- Creative Control modes: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.
Firmware Update Schedule
- Full HD 4:2:2 10-bit video recording.
- 400 Mbps 4:2:2 10-bit All-Intra video recording in 4K 30p, 25p, and 24p as well as Full HD.
- Higher resolution Anamorphic mode.
- Hybrid Log Gamma in Photo Style mode for 4K HDR video recording.
- USB tethering.
|Aspect Ratio||1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9|
|Camera Format||Micro Four Thirds (2x Crop Factor)|
|Dust Reduction System||Yes|
|File Formats||Still Images: JPEG, RAW | Movies: AVCHD Ver. 2.0, H.264, MOV, MP4 | Audio: AAC, Dolby Digital 2ch|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor-Shift, 5-Way|
|Lens Mount||Micro Four Thirds|
|Max Resolution||20 MP: 5184 x 3888|
|Memory Card Type||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Pixels||Actual: 21.77 Megapixel | Effective: 20.3 Megapixel|
|Sensor||MOS, 17.3 x 13 mm|
|Video Recording||Yes, NTSC/PAL|
|Video Format||4096 x 2160p at 23.98, 24, 25 fps | 3840 x 2160p at 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94 fps | 3328 x 2496p at 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94 fps | 1920 x 1080p at 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94 fps|
|Aspect Ratio||4:3, 16:9|
|Audio Recording||Built-in Mic: With Video, Stereo | Optional External Mic: With Video, Stereo + Mono|
|Focus Type||Auto & Manual|
|Focus Mode||Continuous-servo AF (C), Flexible (AFF), Manual Focus (M), Single-servo AF (S)|
|Autofocus Points||Contrast Detection: 225|
|Diopter Adjustment||-4 to +3 m|
|Display Screen||3.2" Rear Touchscreen Swivel Touchscreen OLED (1,620,000)|
|Viewfinder Eye Point||21.00 mm|
|Viewfinder Magnification||Approx. 0.76x|
|Viewfinder Pixel Count||3,686,000|
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 200-25600 (Extended Mode: 100-25600)|
|Shutter||Type: Electronic & Mechanical | Speed: 60 - 1/8000 second | Type: Electronic & Mechanical Speed: 30 - 1 minute in Bulb Mode, 1/24 - 1/16000 second in Movie Mode | Type: Electronic Speed: 1 - 1/16000 second|
|Metering Method||Center-weighted average metering, Multiple, Spot metering|
|Remote Control||DMW-RSL1 (Optional)|
|Exposure Modes||Modes: Aperture Priority, Manual, Programmed Auto, Shutter Priority | Metering Range: EV 0.0 - EV 18.0 | Compensation: -5 EV to +5 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)|
|White Balance Modes||Auto, Cloudy, Color Temperature, Daylight, Flash, Incandescent, Shade, White Set 1, White Set 2, White Set 3, White Set 4|
|Continuous Shooting||Up to 12 fps at 20.3 MP, Up to 30 fps at 18 MP, Up to 60 fps at 8 MP|
|Flash Modes||Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction, Forced On, Forced On/Red-eye Reduction, Off, Slow Sync, Slow Sync/Red-eye Reduction|
|Max Sync Speed||1 / 250 seconds|
|Flash Compensation||-3 EV to +3 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)|
|Dedicated Flash System||TTL|
|External Flash Connection||Hot Shoe, PC Terminal|
|Connectivity||1/8" Headphone, 1/8" Microphone, 2.5mm Sub-mini (2-Ring), HDMI A (Full Size), USB 3.0, Viera Link|
|Self Timer||10 seconds, 2 seconds|
|Battery||1x DMW-BLF19 Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack, 7.2 VDC, 1860 mAh|
|Operating/Storage Temperature||Operating 14 to 104°F (-10 to 40°C) | Humidity: 10 - 80%|
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||5.5 x 3.9 x 3.4" / 138.5 x 98.1 x 87.4 mm|
|Weight||1.60 lb / 725 g with battery and memory card|