Panasonic Lumix DMC-G85 Kit 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS ( Black )
Designed for video and stills shooters alike, the Lumix DMC-G85 from Panasonic is a versatile Micro Four Thirds camera characterized by its quick performance, flexible photo capabilities, and UHD 4K video recording. Using a 16MP MOS sensor, this mirrorless camera has a sensitivity range from ISO 200-25600 to suit working in a variety of lighting conditions, and also affords quick shooting speeds up to 10 fps with single-shot autofocus, or 6 fps with continuous autofocus, as well as up to 40 fps when using an electronic shutter function and 30 fps at 8MP with 4K PHOTO Modes. Benefitting working in difficult lighting conditions, 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization can be used to dramatically reduce the appearance of camera shake, and this IS system pairs with select lens' image stabilization systems for Dual I.S.
Complementing the imaging attributes, the camera also incorporates both a 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder as well as a 3.0" 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD, which has a free-angle design to better enable working from high and low angles. Built-in Wi-Fi is also integrated into the design, which facilitates wireless image transferring and remote camera control from linked smartphones or tablets. Additionally, the body construction is weather-sealed to guard against dust and moisture for working in inclement weather conditions.
16MP Live MOS Sensor
Using a 16MP Live MOS sensor, the G85 is capable of capturing clear, high-resolution stills as well as UHD 4K video. The sensor's design omits an optical low-pass filter in order to achieve a high degree of sharpness and resolution, and its design also affords a sensitivity range from ISO 200-25600 to suit working in a variety of lighting conditions. Additionally, fast shooting performance is also afforded, with the ability to shoot at up to 40 fps with an electronic shutter function, 30 fps at 8MP using the 4K PHOTO Modes, 10 fps with AF-S and an electronic shutter, or 9 fps using a mechanical shutter with AF-S.
UHD 4K Video Recording
In addition to the versatile still shooting modes, the G85 also supports recording UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) video with either 30p or 24p frames rates at 100 Mbps. Full HD 1080p/60 is also supported at 28 Mbps in the MP4 format, along with HD recording and Full HD in AVCHD. A built-in stereo microphone can be used during recordings, and features an integrated wind-cut filter for cleaner audio quality when shooting outdoors, or an optional external mic can be used via the 3.5mm jack.
4K PHOTO Modes
Utilizing the 4K video recording capabilities, a trio of still shooting modes are available for recording continuous 8MP stills at a 30 fps shooting rate:
4K Burst: Just as with video recording, this mode will allow you to continuously record 8MP images at 30 fps for up to 29 min. 59 sec, making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
4K Pre-Burst: This mode is ideal for times when you're unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record 8MP images at 30 fps one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
4K Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the 4K video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8MP frame.
Dual Image Stabilization
Helping to achieve the utmost sharpness when photographing handheld, Dual I.S. combines the G85's 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization technology with lens-based image stabilization to compensate for a broader range of movement types to render sharper, clearer imagery. Dual I.S. requires the use of compatible Lumix lenses featuring O.I.S.
Depth-From-Defocus AF Technology
For accelerated autofocus performance, DFD (Depth-From-Defocus) technology is employed to quickly calculate the distance to subjects and adjust the focusing position in order to suit working with continuous shooting rates up to 6 fps with continuous AF. This contrast-detection type focus method benefits both still and video recording modes, as well as subject tracking applications where subject color, size, and motion vectors are used to intelligently lock-onto the moving subjects and ensure precise focus. Additionally, supporting working in low-light conditions, a Starlight AF feature enables accurate AF performance down to -4 EV.
Benefitting manual focus operation, focus peaking is available that highlights bright edges of contrast with a colored outline for quickly recognizing your focus point, as well as Touch MF Assist for touch-to-focus operation.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi
- An integrated 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder offers a bright, clear eye-level means for composing images, and features a 0.74x effective magnification.
- A larger means for image composition and playback, the 3.0" 1.04m-dot rear LCD monitor has a free-angle design to support viewing from a variety of angles. It is also a touchscreen, which permits intuitive menu navigation and settings control.
- The camera body features a durable weather-sealed construction that renders it both dust- and splash-proof for use in trying environmental conditions.
- Ten programmable function buttons can be used to control a wide variety of settings and tools.
- The included rechargeable lithium-ion battery is rated to provide approximately 330 shots per charge when working with the rear LCD, 320 shots with the EVF, or 800 shots with the Power Saver LVF mode.
- A built-in pop-up flash is available to provide additional illumination when working in low-light conditions.
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity allows for wireless image sharing and remote camera control from linked smartphones and tablets.
Other Camera Features
- A variety of bracketing modes can be used for shutter speed, aperture, and white balance settings. Focus bracketing is also possible, for up to 999 images with focus steps set in 5 levels, for focus stacking applications.
- Creative Control modes allow you to apply a unique look to imagery in-camera, and include Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.
- Photo Styles can be used to impart a distinct quality into either stills or videos, and include Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, L. Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, Custom, Cinelike D, Cinelike V.
- A Silent Mode can be used to mute camera noises for more discreet shooting in sound-sensitive environments.
|Aspect Ratio||1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9|
|Camera Format||Micro Four Thirds (2x Crop Factor)|
|File Formats||Still Images: JPEG, MPO, RAW Movies: AVCHD Ver. 2.0, MP4 Audio: AAC, Dolby Digital 2ch|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor-Shift, 5-Way|
|Lens Mount||Micro Four Thirds|
|Max Resolution||4592 x 3448|
|Memory Card Type||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Pixels||Actual: 16.84 Megapixel, Effective: 16 Megapixel|
|Sensor||MOS, 17.3 x 13.0 mm|
|Dimensions and Weight||128.4 x 89.0 x 74.3 mm excluding protrusions, Weight : 505 g with battery and memory card|
|Video Recording||Yes, NTSC|
|Video Format||3840 x 2160p at 24, 30 fps (100 Mbps MP4) 1920 x 1080p at 60 fps (28 Mbps MP4) 1920 x 1080p at 30 fps (20 Mbps MP4) 1280 x 720p at 30 fps (10 Mbps MP4) 1920 x 1080p at 60 fps (28 Mbps AVCHD) 1920 x 1080p at 24, 30 fps (24 Mbps AVCHD) 1920 x 1080i at 60 fps (17 Mbps AVCHD)|
|Video Clip Length||Limited by Memory Card Capacity|
|Audio Recording||Built-In Mic: With Video (Stereo), Optional External Mic: With Video)|
|Focus Type||Auto & Manual|
|Focus Mode||Continuous-servo AF (C), Flexible (AFF), Manual Focus (M), Single-servo AF (S)|
|Autofocus Points||Contrast Detection: 49|
|Diopter Adjustment||-4 to +4 m|
|Display Screen||3" Rear Touchscreen Swivel LCD (1,040,000)|
|Viewfinder Eye Point||20.00 mm|
|Viewfinder Magnification||Approx. 0.74x|
|Viewfinder Pixel Count||2,360,000|
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 200-25600 (Extended Mode: 100-25600)|
|Shutter||Type: Mechanical Speed: 60 - 1/4000 Second Type: Mechanical Speed: 2 - 0 Minute in Bulb Mode Type: Electronic Speed: 1 - 1/16000 Second Type: Electronic & Mechanical Speed: 60 - 1/2000 Second|
|Metering Method||Center-weighted average metering, Multiple, Spot metering|
|Remote Control||DMW-RSL1 (Optional)|
|Exposure Modes||Modes: Aperture Priority, Manual, Program, Shutter Priority | Metering Range: EV 0.0 - EV 18.0 | Compensation: -5 EV to +5 EV (in 1/3 EV Steps)|
|White Balance Modes||Auto, Cloudy, Color Temperature, Daylight, Flash, Incandescent, Shade, White Set 1, White Set 2, White Set 3, White Set 4|
|Continuous Shooting||Up to 9 fps at 16 MP Up to 6 fps at 16 MP Up to 40 fps at 16 MP Up to 10 fps at 16 MP Up to 30 fps at 8 MP Up to 30 fps at 8 MP|
|Flash Modes||Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction, Forced On, Forced On/Red-eye Reduction ,Off , Slow, Sync, Slow Sync/Red-eye Reduction|
|Guide No.||29.53' (9 m) ISO200|
|Max Sync Speed||1 / 160 Second|
|Flash Compensation||-3 EV to +3 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)|
|Dedicated Flash System||TTL|
|External Flash Connection||Hot Shoe, Wireless|
|Connectivity||1/8" Microphone, 2.5mm Sub-mini (2-Ring), HDMI D (Micro), Micro-USB, USB 2.0|
|Self Timer||10 seconds, 2 seconds|
|Battery||1Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack, 7.2 VDC, 1200 mAh|
|Operating/Storage Temperature||Operating 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C) Humidity: 10 - 80%|